Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Create second update profile button

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 10 months ago #299936 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Create second update profile button
Hello, do you think this is the only way to set a link to managing a gallery?

I just need to figure out way to allow a user in edit profile a direct link to the gallery management since it's not available in the profile edit area. There are 2 galleries that will need linking. Default and a second one I created for documents only.

I'll PM you if this our option and you can take a look.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 10 months ago #299938 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Create second update profile button

Hello, do you think this is the only way to set a link to managing a gallery?

Yes, that is the only way to link to a gallery. I don't understand what's wrong with it being on profile view. After editing and clicking the Update button it redirects them to their profile where they can begin uploading except you put a redirect in to send them back to profile edit. Seams like a lot of unnecessary steps.

Create a Joomla menu item with menutype of Community Builder > Plugin. Next select CB Gallery for the Plugin parameter. Now save your menu item. That's all you need to do to link to your profile gallery. It will always display the gallery of the person logged in.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 10 months ago #299941 by Spiralmind
I wish you could edit galleries in the profile edit but it's not possible.

After editing and clicking the Update button it redirects them to their profile where they can begin uploading except you put a redirect in to send them back to profile edit. Seams like a lot of unnecessary steps.

I have a redirect so the update button takes them back to editing. The profile edit is where they will spend much time. Going back and forth for each save it going to drive people nuts. It was driving me nuts when testing. Partially because the profile edit button is 2 clicks buried in a menu with no other options?

There will be old people who will be confused and my client is specifically asking for direct links from the application (profile edit) area to the file uploads. Part of the application is uploading documents and not being able to use a multi upload document system is not good. I have no idea how many documents they need to send so field options are not possible. They must title each one and we need to send them there and hopefully in a new window to upload documents then continue with the application.

I wish there was a save and continue and save and close for the profile edit and then maybe it would be OK to do it that way, but there isn't.

Again, it sure would be nice to manage galleries in profile edit. That would solve all my problems with this.

Create a Joomla menu item with menutype of Community Builder > Plugin. Next select CB Gallery for the Plugin parameter. Now save your menu item. That's all you need to do to link to your profile gallery. It will always display the gallery of the person logged in.

Can you have 2 links one for each gallery? This method will be a good enough solution if I can get it working.

I am sorry to be a pain but I am not getting any leeway from my client on this one. He is adamant people will not be able to figure this out without links. I do agree it seems better than explaining how to get there.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 10 months ago #299947 by krileon

I wish you could edit galleries in the profile edit but it's not possible.

Because that doesn't make any sense. You can't edit your Facebook photos in profile edit. It's done from Photos section. It would also result in an HTML form inside of an HTML form, which isn't valid.

I have a redirect so the update button takes them back to editing. The profile edit is where they will spend much time. Going back and forth for each save it going to drive people nuts. It was driving me nuts when testing. Partially because the profile edit button is 2 clicks buried in a menu with no other options?

You can reach profile edit however you like. There's a Joomla menutype for it so you can have it as a menu option always available. It can also be displayed directly in your CB Login module if enabled.

I wish there was a save and continue and save and close for the profile edit and then maybe it would be OK to do it that way, but there isn't.

Because you're editing a social profile that you're trying to force into being an application process. I understand your needs, but it's just not what CB or our plugins are designed for.

Again, it sure would be nice to manage galleries in profile edit. That would solve all my problems with this.

The best I can suggest is use the CB Gallery Module to output the gallery in profile edit by assigning it to your profile edit menu item. For this to match the profile gallery you'll need to set the modules Asset to "profile,uploads".

Can you have 2 links one for each gallery? This method will be a good enough solution if I can get it working.

Yes, create a Joomla menu item to CB Gallery with Asset left empty for profile gallery. Then create another with Asset set to "profile.[user_id].field.FIELD_ID" (replace FIELD_ID with your actual fields id). One should link to the profile gallery and the other to the field gallery.

I am sorry to be a pain but I am not getting any leeway from my client on this one. He is adamant people will not be able to figure this out without links. I do agree it seems better than explaining how to get there.

There doesn't seam to be a point to send them back to profile edit after they've already edited their profile, which is why I don't understand the redirect. You could redirect them directly to their gallery tab in profile view after clicking Update in profile edit and skip the need for any further extra steps. It could even have a message attached to the redirect asking them to please attach their documents to their gallery, etc.. Even better would be to be able to redirect directly to the upload page, but that's not possible since you can't create a menu item for that and have added a feature ticket to implement such an endpoint.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6910

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Spiralmind
  • Spiralmind
6 years 10 months ago #299948 by Spiralmind

There doesn't seam to be a point to send them back to profile edit after they've already edited their profile, which is why I don't understand the redirect.

Because there are over 70 items to choose from and enter. If you are someone working on this application you will likely be doing it for extended periods and staying in that area is more logical than closing it each save. I want them to save it after each update they make. 90% of the reason for this at all is this application. I just know from me testing it people will be complaining about having to go back each time the save it.

Yes, create a Joomla menu item to CB Gallery with Asset left empty for profile gallery. Then create another with Asset set to "profile.[user_id].field.FIELD_ID" (replace FIELD_ID with your actual fields id). One should link to the profile gallery and the other to the field gallery.

I think this is my solution. I'll try it again and see what happens.

but that's not possible since you can't create a menu item for that and have added a feature ticket to implement such an endpoint.

How long do these usually take to implement?

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 10 months ago #299949 by krileon

How long do these usually take to implement?

If you're referring to creating direct menu items to galleries then that's already available. If you're referring to directly linking a galleries "New Upload / Link" or "New Album" page that's just now implemented in the latest build now released. There's 2 new Action options available for CB Gallery menu items for "New Upload / Link" and "New Album" to allow directly linking to the new functionality of a gallery.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon