Skip to Content Skip to Menu

phpBB

• geeffland
  • geeffland
18 years 9 months ago #2949 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB
FYI

if your Joomla setup is in the root directory of the website then you will need to prefix the phpbb path with that last directory

i.e.

joomla in /usr/local/mysite.com
phpBB in /usr/local/mysite.com/forum

the phpbb directory should be "mysite.com/forum"

The plugin takes the Joomla root then takes the last directory and replaces it with the phpBB directory defined in the plugin (default is forum).

With the default it would look in /usr/local/forum for phpBB

We may change this in the future if most people have Joomla installed in the root versus a subdirectory

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rick
  • rick
18 years 9 months ago #2958 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:phpBB
Thanks for all your help Greg and martijn189. One question, has there been any luck in getting existing Joomla users tranfered into phpBB?

Thanks again,

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

• geeffland
  • geeffland
18 years 9 months ago #2960 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB
This is a fairly easy process as you just have to setup the use in 3 tables in phpbb. Would have liked to put it as a button or link in the plugin management screen but don't know how... last thought was to create an admin modules that could handle it.

Seems like it would need to do the following:
1) Identify which usernames are in both databases that are identical (interfere with each other)... leave for admin to manually configure.
2) Setup other users in phpBB database

Fairly easy to do just need time and a place to put the code so the admin can control it.

Might be a few weeks until I get a chance to try it but if you want to know which tables need updating you can look at the registertophpbb function in the phpbbconnector.php file... This function basically transferrs the last registered user from Joomla into phpBB... The later the statustophpbb updates the user_active flag in phpbb.

or

Prefix ="phpbb_" typically... refer to phpBB for specifics... only the following 3 tables are used by phpBB for user registration. Passwords are both MD5... same for Joomla and phpBB.

users
groups
user_group

After I get my site up an running I will work on this script.

Also just posted a version 1.1 BETA to the downloads area... changed how the directory for phpBB is located... used to be based off of Joomla's location, up on dir, then down per variable... now it starts at the website root and adds the variables... should be easier to know what needs to be entered as the variable in the plugin management screen

Hope this helps,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

• rick
  • rick
18 years 9 months ago #2963 by rick
Thanks for your help. I will wait for your assistance as I am not a coder and only slightly comfortable in mysql. I know that I am not the only one that is looking for this. As it stands the only way to use your plugin is from a scratch install of both Joomla and phpBB. No rush, will just plug away with SMF till then.

In the mean time I did find that if I register into phpBB with the exact info that is used in Joomla and then go to the user manager in CB and then the phpBB tab I can insert the phpBB ID: and it does work for that user. To do that for several hundred people would not be feasable though.

I will get the phpBB stuff all setup and all the configs, updates, mods, etc so that once I get the users transfered all will be good.

Thanks again,

Oh P.S. the site is working great once I read the instructions. I'm not used to finding the instructions embeded inside a plugin but they are very good.

Post edited by: rick, at: 2005/12/29 23:17

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

• phil_roy
  • phil_roy
18 years 9 months ago #2964 by phil_roy
Replied by phil_roy on topic Re:phpBB

Thanks for all your help Greg and martijn189. One question, has there been any luck in getting existing Joomla users tranfered into phpBB?

As I've mentioned in this thread, I use the integrated phpBB component that is out for Joomla already....
www.joomlastuff.org/phpbb.html
...and this component brings in all users from Joomla into phpBB and treats them as one set, if that's what you are after.

I'm going to download the plugin that has been released and have a go and see if it will work for my set up also. Thanks to those that developed it.

Phil

• rick
  • rick
18 years 9 months ago #2965 by rick
phil_roy,

Thanks, I have seen and tried using it and it is very good for what it does but I could not use it because to much of the core has been altered so few of the plugins will work on it.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

Moderators: beatnantkrileon