Skip to Content Skip to Menu

phpBB

• wshealy
  • wshealy
18 years 9 months ago #3193 by wshealy
Replied by wshealy on topic Re:phpBB
Hi
I think I am going to show my confussion. I have installed phpBB2 and the plugin per the directions in the plugin. I actually get a tab for the phpbb.

Now, the dumb part... The phpbb bridge and com_forum_install all take a different approach. Do I need some module to actually show phpbb in joomla? How do you incorporate phpbb in joomla now that CB is handling the registration.

Thanks
W

W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• phil_roy
  • phil_roy
18 years 9 months ago #3194 by phil_roy
Replied by phil_roy on topic Re:phpBB
OK, you are getting a little confused and it is probably my fault as I have mixed up the conversation in this thread a litle with talking about a different way of using phpBB.

With phpBB, you basically have two options...a sort of standalone option, that most of the people in this thread are using where phpBB is set up kinda separate to Joomla but still part of the same site (that's the best way to describe it at least).

I take the different approach...I use a phpBB component that is specifically designed to be incorpated into Joomla and you can get it from www.joomlastuff.org .

It's a great component and works really well, but it has been hacked (altered) to fit into Joomla and this will cause problems using it with CB...as many fields have had their name changed, so the CB-to-phpBB connection isn't perfect.

So for my site, I've had help developing a file that takes *some* of the phpBB info and displays it in CB...most aren't doing it that way. I also had to hack the plugin and Greg is now trying to incorporate my hacks so the plugin suits everyones needs.

Given that I'm taking about hacks all the time, you might suspect that the integrated version of phpBB isn't the best approach.....however it is a great component and has been around for a while, so I'm sticking with it.

Others might be able to provide a better explanation as to how they have phpBB set up and why they run their sites in the way that they do...the main reason probably being it requires no hacking of phpBB at all.

To me, it sounds like you've installed the phpBB comonent...so you may need to rethink that if you want to keep things easy.

Hope that helps,

Phil

• geeffland
  • geeffland
18 years 9 months ago #3196 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB
W,

It does sound as though you have the component of phpBB installed... Not real sure how to go from there... I assume you need to make a menu item point to that component...

If you have phpBB (2.0.18) installed seperately you need to first go to phpBB directly and finish its installation... Should automatically start when you go to that directory... Once phpBB is installed you can then go into CB Plugin Management (assuming Joomla and CB are already setup and running) From there install the phpBB plugin from this or developer.joomla.org (phpBB Connector). Once installed make sure the plugin is published and make sure that its phpbb directory is set to the correct location (defaults to yoursite.com/forum). Now go into a menu (say mainmenu) and add an item (URL Link) that points to the URL of the phpBB directory. Then the users can access phpBB from your new menu item.

Once setup this should make any user which registers also setup in phpBB's user table. Then when that user logs in or out they will also log in or out of phpBB (session start/end).

Let us know if you have anymore questions. Feel free to log bugs and feature requests in the tracker in developer.joomla.org ( developer.joomla.org/sf/projects/phpbb_connector )

We may need to start a new topic here shortly since we are on page 12 or 13...

Hope this helps,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

• RSM
  • RSM
18 years 9 months ago #3198 by RSM
Replied by RSM on topic Re:phpBB
phil_roy,

That iteration of phpBB you use also screws with the core user tables of Joomla and you can NOT uninstall it without damage to jos_users and the acl tables (ask me how I know).

I'm wrestling now with out of sync tables and at my expertise level, it's almost impossible to fix.

Forewarned is fore-armed :S

• RSM
  • RSM
18 years 9 months ago #3199 by RSM
Replied by RSM on topic Re:phpBB
Greg,

developer.joomla.org/sf/projects/phpbb_connector

Are you aware there is no public access to that area?

It answers:

"Permission Denied

You have been denied access to this page. Please log in to verify your access permissions."

When I am logged in to my SF account it changes to;

"Permission Denied

You do not have permission to view this page.

If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the SourceForge administrator."

Post edited by: RSM, at: 2006/01/05 07:35

• phil_roy
  • phil_roy
18 years 9 months ago #3200 by phil_roy
Replied by phil_roy on topic Re:phpBB

That iteration of phpBB you use also screws with the core user tables of Joomla and you can NOT uninstall it without damage to jos_users and the acl tables (ask me how I know).

Well I've not UN-installed it, but I have had it running on my site since August 2004 and have frequently upgraded to new versions including a complete clean install when I jumped from Mambo to Joomla.

In no way has it impacted on the running of any other component, or on the site itself. The developer is very active, answers questions promptly and I just donated to the project for a second time as I'm so pleased (I've donated to CB as well I might add)...so we'd have to agree to disagree I think.

Phil

Post edited by: phil_roy, at: 2006/01/05 07:41

Moderators: beatnantkrileon