Skip to Content Skip to Menu

we are looking for mikko the APC plugin developer

16 years 1 month ago #74389 by joomlashake
Replied by joomlashake on topic Re:we are looking for mikko the APC plugin develo
Yes, it will be developed for CB 1.2 too. But here we still need some time to do.

Post edited by: joomlashake, at: 2008/09/15 16:31
The topic has been locked.
  • nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #74943 by nzimas
joomlashake wrote:

Yes, it will be developed for CB 1.2 too. But here we still need some time to do.

Post edited by: joomlashake, at: 2008/09/15 16:31

Too bad i won't be able to use that version since you have blocked my account and deleted the messages i have posted expressing concerns about your licensing policy.
I call that censorship, at the very least.
Mikko might have been irresponsible, but never reacted in such an authoritarian and immature way.

Long story short.

I have posted a couple of posts on Joomlashake dissenting with their licensing model, which is almost the same as Mikko's. The usual license keys bullcrap and restrictions all over the EULA (yes, fellas, some of us read these things).
Instead of trying to reason with me, the kind mysterious admin behind Joomlashake decided to block my account and delete my post. Sort of "1984" memory hole and history rewriting.
Dunno which part of my objection triggered such an imprudent move... Probably the reminder about Proma being a code rip off from APC, debugged and released under a similarly restrictive license.

My conclusion from all this is that Joomlashake is most likely ran by greedy "script kiddies" (whatever age they are) who are imitating Mikko's licensing model and therefore transferring the issue to their end, not solving it.

Their rationale seems to be "if the scam worked for Mikko, it may work for us as well"-

Really sad.

Those of us who are truly interested in a working GPL version of APC should ignore Joomlashake, hire a dev to bugfix APC 1.0.6 and release the whole thing under a new name and, plain to see, an Open Source license.

Don't trust the offspring of a rotten biz model.

[UPDATE]

Looks like my account has been unblocked :D
Now it just takes to get the posts i have written back and put the discussion on track. Would be the wisest thing to do as we are all **TIRED** of this never ending affair.
I honestly thought that Proma was meant to rescue APC from the stinky mud, not to throw it on the same mud with a slightly modified smell :)

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 00:20

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 00:34

Professional Website: www.bittingbits.com
16 years 1 month ago #74948 by joomlashake
Replied by joomlashake on topic Re:we are looking for mikko the APC plugin develo
@nzimas

We don`t have blocked you. Look again and you will see. Second, yes, we have deleted your post, cause you wrote that we have ripped of Mikkos code. You can`t say something like that, without seeing the code, right? And have you bought the component? No, so where could you have a look at the code? Therefore don`t post such assertions. And no, we don`t use the same license system like mikko, we don`t use iono. Our license system is more userfriendly than mikkos. But you can`t know, cause you don`t have bought until now. Third, we are no script kiddies and we aren`t 20 years old. We are in the middle of 30 years and know what we are doing. We spend a lot of time in the last weeks to code this component. And it isn`t the only component with license system outside. And if mikko did mistakes with his component or license system it doesn`t mean that we or all the other coders outside, that uses license systems, do the same. And if you want to have a component like proma or apc for free, feel free to code for your own.

Regards

joomlashake
  • nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #74949 by nzimas
@joomlashake

1st, Yes you have blocked me for a while. Please do not distort facts, OK?

2nd, by buying "your" component without reading the EULA behind it i would have been falling into an old booby trap once again and honestly don't really fell like it, no matter the price

3rd, it would be really unlikely for you to launch an APC "rescue kit" without using its code foundation (or more).

4th, i cannot prove that God doesn't exist, but no one can prove the opposite (if you get the analogy).

5th) the main issue with Mikko's model is not Iono, the licensing technology, but rather the licensing model as a whole (and you know it, so please stop diverting the debate away from its core axis); the way it is described in your EULA, Proma is not any different than APC in terms of POLICIES; what is at the stake here is the perpetuation of misconduct and wrongdoing, not the "user friendliness" of Iono (which, by the way, i do not find hard to deal with at all.

Look, i have been following this saga from day 0. I was Mikko's lab animal for a few weeks before APC existed under that name. I am tracking all the spins and twists.
Mikko vanished, Joomladevil appeared as a supposed attempt to save APC and release it under a less restrictive license, then it was shut all of a sudden due to trademark conflicts. Shortly afterward your startup emerged as the new saviour.. and now it turns out to offer the exact same product under a different brand name and the very same license model that drove APC down the sewer.

Sorry, folks, but especially after your childish attitude towards the legitimate doubts i have posted, it is hard to believe your "good intentions" and ethics.

Erasing inconvenient posts is not really the way to build a constructive project.

Again, i do appreciate your work on APC / Proma. I just disagree with the license model you have chosen (in the particular context of APC's troubled journey)-

As i wrote in one of my deleted posts, good luck! :)

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 00:59

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 00:59

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 01:02

• nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #74953 by nzimas
@joomlashake

A final reflection.

If you having nothing to hide under the sleeve and want to come clean before your customers, actual or potential, you don't delete posts, no matter how inconvenient they are, provided that no personal slander or inappropriate language is used, of course.

Instead, you should have answered my doubts in a clear manner on location and use that thread to clear up my concerns in a professional manner.

If you owe no code to APC, perfect. Congratulations :)
I just find it strange that a brand new component has been written for deprecated versions of CB and Joomla, precisely those APC used to work on :) I mean, it would have been more "logical" to code a version for CB 1.2 and Joomla 1.5 all the way, because that's what most of us are developing on.. Strange. Unless you were purposefully targeting the market of desperate and stuck APC users, which is a clever strategy, i agree.

Needless to say that you are entitled to release your code under whatever license you please, wrong as it is.
And if you say that it is genuinely yours, then i'll give you what you did not give me in your forum: the freedom to expose any fallacy i might have written so far.

I am enough humble to acknowledge to my mis-judgement, even when at times it costs me some cash to draw it :)

Regards,
Nuno.

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 01:21

• nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #74956 by nzimas
It also uses the Ioncube code encryptation rubbish. Even this trait was inherited from APC. C'mon, let's get serious :)

The only warranty you offer is that you are "not like Mikko"... Sounds too vague when evidence points otherwise.
Since when is that a valid argument from a technical and licensing point of view? Why should WE trust you more than WE have trusted Mikko? What if Mikko returns from his exile to tell us all that he regrets what he has done and that he is now a reliable professional?

Don't wanna sound like a drama queen or whistle blower, but the sensation of being scammed is quite unpleasant (and i know of worse cases in the Joomlasphere than Mikko's, odd as it may sound).

Over a year ago when the Joomla core devs called for GPL compliance, i preferred to shut my eyes and be pragmatic. Many deadlines on the table and so on.
"Thanks" to this telenovela, i fully realize how bold right the devs were / are. As a matter of fact, non-GPL extensions should be ruled out at once. I got fed up with coding opportunism.
Notice that the GPL is not incompatible with "makin money". I am proudly subscribed to several commercial Open Source projects.
No one forces nobody to code on a GPL framework like Joomla. Those of us who choose to do so have to bewaare of what it implies.

This is all.

I'm done. You may now rejoice :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon