Skip to Content Skip to Menu

we are looking for mikko the APC plugin developer

• nant
  • nant
16 years 1 month ago #74992 by nant
@all - please keep this civil
@nzimas & joomlashake: please use PM or other means to exchange personal targeted comments

Let's not condem a business model based on a bad apple. Mikko has proven very unprofessional - period.

Fortunately there are much better people out there and developers have the freedom to decide how they want to distribute their work. Even though I personally like opensource (because I can read, study and learn from it), I also understand the reasoning surrounding encryption especially when one charges. Too many warez sites out there and too many people taking advantage of this illegal activity.

To summarize - what mikko did is just plain unprofessional.

Also, the CB Team has been looking closely at the actual need that some of mikko's work was satisfying and we are trying to create alternatives. ;)

Post edited by: nant, at: 2008/09/20 11:12
The topic has been locked.
  • mrsoul
  • mrsoul
16 years 1 month ago #74994 by mrsoul
Our work includes unlimited upgrades, additional modules, hacks, support etc.. if You find the one time fee too much for these services then be my guest and plant a money tree in our backyard and we will give it out under a GPL license.
  • nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #74997 by nzimas
nant wrote:

@all - please keep this civil
Developers have the freedom to decide how they want to distribute their work.

Allow me to dissent on this one, Beat.
The GPL enforces redistribution rules over its derivatives, which in turn have to be GPL as well. Remember the heated debate from mid 2007? :)
Joomla is released under a GPL license, not a BSD one. Was it released under BSD and then i would fully agree with you, for it really permits everyone to do anything with it, including closing the source.

To summarize - what mikko did is just plain unprofessional.

Amen.

Also, the CB Team has been looking closely at the actual need that some of mikko's work was satisfying and we are trying to create alternatives. ;)

Post edited by: nant, at: 2008/09/20 11:12

Now, that's the news i have been expecting for so log :D
Such enhancement will finally solve the APC orphanage syndrome many of us suffer from.

[EDIT]
I meant Nant where i wrote Beat. No hard feelings :D

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 11:59

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 12:01

Professional Website: www.bittingbits.com
  • nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #74998 by nzimas
mrsoul wrote:

Our work includes unlimited upgrades, additional modules, hacks, support etc.. if You find the one time fee too much for these services then be my guest and plant a money tree in our backyard and we will give it out under a GPL license.

Money is not the issue here, at least on my end.
I don't even suggest you to give anything away for free.
My disappointment is mostly about the same kind of dependency that has lead APC to a sad demise.

You guys have been let down by Mikko as much as many of us did.
Didn't you learn any lesson from your very own awful experience as customers?
Don't you realize that APC failed not only because Mikko behaved unprofessionally but MAINLY because his licensing scheme generated a great deal of dependency?

As we say where i come from, "não basta mudar as moscas" ("it's not enough to replace the flies"... if the s*** remains there).

Nant, no need to sanction me. I think we are all clear now.
I will not return to the topic (if not provoked :D).

Regards,
Nuno.

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 11:57

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 12:03

• mrsoul
  • mrsoul
16 years 1 month ago #74999 by mrsoul
nzimas wrote:

You guys have been let down by Mikko as much as many of us did.
Didn't you learn any lesson from your very own awful experience as customers?
Don't you realize that APC failed not only because Mikko behaved unprofessionally but MAINLY because his licensing scheme generated a great deal of dependency?

11:57

Yes we did learn from it, never to make the same mistake others have made and that's exactly what we're going to do. And that I mean in terms of support. Please refrain from your form of tunnel vision, you can't blame us for Mikko's mistakes in terms of lack of support and his vanishing from the face of joomlearth and leaving users despaired. We have a saying in Dutch, "Niet over een kam scheren" which means never to judge people based on your own bad experience. We are not Mikko nor do we adapt his way of doing business though I sincerely hope that he is alright (wherever he is)

Post edited by: mrsoul, at: 2008/09/20 12:18

Post edited by: mrsoul, at: 2008/09/20 12:19
  • nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #75000 by nzimas
@mrsoul

Licensing concerns aside (which you have somehow overlooked), let's imagine that we purchase PROMA.
In its current model, how will it be any different than APC if your service goes down? What will happen to the sites where PROMA might be already running on?
In one of your posts you said that at least the frontend would work. How about the backend? What if we want or need to change profile settings?
If your license key validates against a remote server, what will happen if that server collapses? Are you able to compensate your customers for a sudden disruption?

If i have learned a valuable lesson from the "Mikko-gate" scandal is that commercial encrypted extensions are not to be trusted in any way. I won't even go into coding ethics, but rather the technical risks underneath overprotective licensing.

Anyhow, this is a vast topic to be debated separately.

Probably the time has come to setup a sort of Joomla GPL compliance white list. I just regret it cannot be enforced through an actual lawsuit.

Hmmm... what was the motto we have rallied behind in August 2005? Open Source Matters.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon