Skip to Content Skip to Menu

we are looking for mikko the APC plugin developer

• mrsoul
  • mrsoul
16 years 1 month ago #75001 by mrsoul
yes, the possible licensing problems have been foreseen by us. Our licensing system will work in that it doesn't affect anything except for the ability to do upgrades from the backend, I find it more then acceptable that tampering with the license will do just that nothing more. Happy now?

Post edited by: mrsoul, at: 2008/09/20 13:20
The topic has been locked.
  • nzimas
  • nzimas
16 years 1 month ago #75016 by nzimas
As per Nant's request, i have transferred the "personal" bits of this debate to a PM thread.

What follows is my public position on the licensing topic (hopefully definitive so that we can all rest at peace :)).

mrsoul wrote:

Happy now?

Post edited by: mrsoul, at: 2008/09/20 13:20

In the short term and at a practical level, it relieves me, sort of... In the long term, however, it doesn't.
There are alternatives to be explored and I'll try to put code (whether mine or sponsored) where my legitimate whining has been so far.

Closed source licensing on an open framework like Joomla has to be halted to prevent unethical business, dependability and mayhem.

I am deeply impacted by Mikko's affair and will strive to put the entire money-oriented biz model he has adhered to at the stake.
Those who put rapid profit making above the community to which they owe their means of production should be more coherent with their choices.
Pick a closed source CMS released under a property license, use only closed source tools and then you will be ethically entitled to sell your code the same way (a BSD licensed CMS based solely on BSD license technologies may also be used for that purpose).

Anyways, Joomlapolis, or at least this particular thread, is not the place to discuss the subject in depth.
I know exactly where, when and with whom it can be brought forth.

My writing style may sound a bit sharp, but the truth is that i have been holding my guts for too long in the hope that a certain person we all know would re-surface
to redeem his gross misdeed.

During this time i have been reflecting a whole lot on the pervasive nature of dependable licensing and encrypted code devised to run on the top of an open API. My conclusion is that it undermines the social contract behind most platforms we develop on.

So, mrsoul, i do not have any personal issue with you. I do have a general issue with a growing opportunistic trend that is endangering our beloved GPL'ed Joomla. The very same trend that eventually made Mikko commit several mistakes he wouldn't, had he predicted the consequences.

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 17:07

Professional Website: www.bittingbits.com
  • beat
  • beat
16 years 1 month ago #75019 by beat
nzimas wrote:

Anyways, Joomlapolis, or at least this particular thread, is not the place to discuss the subject in depth.

Post edited by: nzimas, at: 2008/09/20 17:07

Correct on this sentence. :)

We will not comment any of the other opinions above, as they belong to their authors, and we respect the authors and their opinions, and understand that the respect is reciprocal too.

Joomlapolis is indeed not the place to discuss these general matters.

We have all learned lots of this Mikko case, and also of the case of the hot debate around Joomla's debate around GPL.

One of the lessons I've learned is that debates around licenses can take considerable time and energy away from the main tasks of managing such a project.

If you don't mind, we want to stay focussed on finishing up CB 1.2, and finding solutions for the actual need that some of mikko's work was satisfying, and running a wonderful Community with Freedom and Peace.

Therefore, to not spend more time in this thread, off development tasks, I'm locking this thread until significant news appear.

Thanks for your valuable inputs, I have seen some good advances in mutual understandings, and thanks for your understanding for our focus as well. :)

Anyone with significant good news on APC, please feel free to PM me and I will happily unlock the thread for the news to go out and get discussed. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
Moderators: beatnantkrileon