Skip to Content Skip to Menu

phpBB

• Raj
  • Raj
18 years 9 months ago #4122 by Raj
Replied by Raj on topic Re:phpBB
As far as I'm concerned, PHPBB integration is a precondition for the success of CB. When solid PHPBB integration gets here, CB adoption will accelerate.

The alternative is to develop skins for Joomlaboard that compete with the PHPBB templates. Not everyone needs the feature-heavy feel of PHPBB, but everyone needs a slick looking board, IMHO.

I wish CB integrated with PunBB. Now that would be something.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 years 9 months ago #4124 by mholtzclaw
Replied by mholtzclaw on topic Re:phpBB
Thanks for the information raj.

From your feedback, I'm guessing that accessing phpbb via virtual hosts (and different hostname/sitename) just may not be possible. I've continued to try different things with no success. I think I may be in the position to just roll everything back (CB, phpbb_connector) until it matures.

What I have read during my research indicates that it may be a while before we have a good method of handling single signon/login. I can be patient.

• Feyd
  • Feyd
18 years 9 months ago #4167 by Feyd
Replied by Feyd on topic Re:phpBB
First of all I just installed CB with the php bridge today and I have to say its fantastic. Have been through a whole host of other ways of integrating mos/jos with smf or phpBB and none came close to being as easy and feature rich.

I have also seen the issue where if I make a simple URL link to my forum so that it pops up in a new window, the user is not automatically logged in. I still see the login link at the top of the phpBB page and the login pane across the bottom. If I change it from a URL link to a wrapper then it works fine. I haven't extensively tested this to verify its always repeatable but will do from home tonight.

2nd issue that I didn't see covered while skimming through the posts here is that when you go to a users CB profile and click on one of the links in the phpBB tab it is set to open in a new window. It would be nice if we could easily configure somehwere if it should open inline in a wrapper instead.

3rd issue as some have pointed out is I guess we need a phpBB hack so that clicking a username in a forum will hop to the CB profile for the user and not the phpBB one.

I am assuming both 2 and 3 are going to be rather easy to do myself if I can motivate myself to hop into the php for a few minutes.

Again, thanks for the great plugin.

Feyd

• nEEE
  • nEEE
18 years 9 months ago #4261 by nEEE
Replied by nEEE on topic Re:phpBB
Basicly, im sitting and waiting for a new release of this plugin :)
Im not gonna usa joomla on my site if i cant bridge it with phpbb.
I dont understand why the joomla team havent fixed a bridge...

Anyway, i tried ot the phpbbconnector V1.1 Beta and it worked fine, but i need an easy way to transfer my existing phpbb users to CB.
I checked your dev site and apparently you are working on that.
So keep up the good work!

• geeffland
  • geeffland
18 years 9 months ago #4283 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB
Sorry all, have not been following this thread for a few days as I have been pulled in too many different directions...

1) On the detfault directories... It does assume by default that phpBB2 is installed in a root directory 'forum' on your website (i.e. ' www.mysite.com/forum ') you can modify this to work with any subdirectory within your website. It currently does not have any cross-site or cross-database capability. I know Martijn wants to add cross-database capability and the other shouldn't be too hard either (but let me check first... as php files are included from that directory listed... need to check on how php includes or does not include files on different servers... that allows us to read the setup variables from phpBB like table prefix, etc.). For what its worth (FWIW) Martijn has his Joomla installed in a root directory and I have mine in a subdirectory so both locations for Joomla should work fine.

2) Hope to get time to work on the control panel in the next week or so... Our internal alpha can ID the users ready to import/export but it just doesn't import/export them yet... so pretty close just need time.

3) Have not tested with phpBB 2.0.19 but did check their sessions.php file... the modification mentioned in the README file still works as I think the files are the same from 2.0.18 (tested) and 2.0.19.

4) Single singon/login should already work in 1.1 beta (actually 1.0.1 beta). There should not be a difference whether you login from URL or through wrapper... It you have the plugin installed, published, and the user has a phpbbID that is valid it should start a phpBB session at the same time the CB session is started. So with the exception of timeouts you should be logged in (via database table)... So if you see cases where this is setup correctly and it still does not start the session then let me know... My site currently uses a URL link and appears to be working.

Hopefully my 'distractions' should die down in the next day or so... so with luck I may be able to get the next beta ready early next week... keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for all of the feedback.
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

• Raj
  • Raj
18 years 9 months ago #4294 by Raj
Replied by Raj on topic Re:phpBB
Goooooooooo GREG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon